Saturday, August 23, 2008

Entanglement

I have been researching the theory of ENTANGLEMENT. I love that word. This is the idea that everything, and everyone, is connected on a quantum level. There is a Wikipedia definition regarding entanglement...

Quantum entanglement is a quantum mechanical phenomenon in which the quantum states of two or more objects are linked together so that one object can no longer be adequately described without full mention of its counterpart — even though the individual objects may be spatially separated.

Simple, right? Basically, entanglement is the idea that all matter, at the sub-atomic level, is the same matter. There have been experiments done on particles, that proves that if you apply energy to one of a pair of particles, the effect occurs on both particles. This is true no matter how spatially separated the particles are.

So what does this mean to us? I believe that this means, quite literally, we are all connected to each other, no matter how separated we may be feeling. Obviously we are individuals with our own definite physical selves, and with very different opinions and ideas. But on a much deeper level, we are all the same. Sure, we will have have Sox fans vs Cub fans, and they'll say no way am I the same as that guy! Or you'll have people who are going to vote for McCain, and those that will vote for Obama, and it is certain they will argue there is nothing alike between them! But none of that matters. We are all part of the same material that has been around since the Big Bang.

Conversely, there is the idea that no object ever actually touches another object, hence we are more separate than anyone ever conceived. On a sub-atomic level, there is always space between atoms. On the most impossibly miniscule level, there is so much space between particles it might as well be the distance between stars. So how, one may ask, did I get that paint transfer on my bumper when I backed into my neighbor's car? Excellent question. I tried to explain to my neighbor that it didn't really exist, but he didn't buy it. Go figure.

Anyway, that is what has been on my mind lately. Thoughts anyone?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Thoughts anyone?"

You bet! I love your use of the word, ENTANGLEMENT. I knew what the literal term meant, but I really like the way that you broke it down and clearly defined the term in ways that I hadn't even thought of. I really enjoyed your examples and I now have a new appreciation for this word.

When I think about it, you know...you're right because we're not really all that closely related as far as our likes and dislikes, personality types, and daily routines, yet we are still so close relatively speaking, because we tend to share so much in common with each other. We bond, we love, we all eat, sleep, and play and the most important of all, we're all human. Our interactions may not define us, yet it does link us to one another in a miriad of ways. I like your thinking. I like how you can ponder on a word, research it to the depths, and explain what it all means in a clear, concise, understandable manner. Good job! I can happily walk away from this saying that I've truly learned something new, Anne. Thanks bunches for sharing your insight.

And just to add for kicks and giggles...Sen. John McCain and I happen to share the same birthday (whether I like it or not, lol). We both celebrate our birthdays on Friday August 29th. See how this entanglement theory can work on so many different levels???

Andy Egizi, Program Coordinator said...

I have similar interest in reading about science although I really never understand what I read. I read Elegant Universe and was convince for a chapter or so that I might understand, but I was mistaken. I can grasp 4 dimensions (x, y, z axis and time) but 11 dimensions?

ajenno said...

I don't really understand string theory. I mean I understand the concept that at a level even smaller than the Plank level, everything is made up of strings either looped or unlooped, and that the strings vibrate at various speeds with varying effects. I do not, however, understand how this can possibly be an answer to life, the universe and everything. Unless there were only 42 of them. And unless you read Douglas Adams, that remark will not make any sense to you either.

The Girl Kind of Shawn said...

This reminds me of Deepak Chopra's "Ageless Body, Timeless Mind" which is one of my favorite books. It's about quantum physics and it took me a bit to wrap my brain around it. Once I caught on, I was utterly fascinated.

It makes sense to me that everything is connected. I don't know if I could get my Cub fan husband to believe that he is the same as a Cardnal fan, though...lol!