Thursday, September 4, 2008

End of week 2

I think I have the class figured out now, but I don't think my professor is very happy with me or a few of my classmates. We actually lost one. The professor told her she shouldn't be in the class if she was unable to think a certain way, so she left! That's never happened before in my classes! Anyway, I think I have it sorted now, so I'm just gonna keep on truckin'! I am actually very much enjoying the subject matter. I love Greek mythology and I didn't realize how fascinating an in-depth study was going to be. As the course moves on there are many terrific texts I'm looking forward to studying so we should be all systems go!

I'm really tired today, I've been up late working on my homework and getting up at 5 am for work. My kids need some of me too, so I'm spread pretty thin and feeling every bit of it. I try to balance my one class alongside the rest of my life, but it's a rough ride sometimes! I still have so very, very far to go before I reach my degree. If I could go full time I'd be done in 2 semesters, but it is just not to be. I wonder if the university would consider accelerated classes? If they could make them all 8 week classes like the summer semester that would let me finish in half the time! I was almost considering looking into a program like University of Phoenix which does offer the accelerated classes, but then I wouldn't have a degree from UIS, which I would value more. I guess it's snobbery on my part, but I want a degree from the best university around, and that's where I'm at. I just wish I could do it faster!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally understand your frustration as I kind of wish I could do accelerated classes, too until I realize how hard it is for me to keep up with the classes that I already have. Life always throws us curve balls and I just caught one of them myself. I couldn't get any of my schoolwork done today because of an emergency, so my daughter got very little of my time today as well.

I hope that you can get you some much needed rest. I know how it feels to be so exhausted that you feel like you want to just drop right where you're standing and fall fast asleep. It's how our bodies work. It lets us know when is when. Drink some warm tea and curl up to either a favorite book or read a chapter from your textbook and just kick back and relax. Rejuvenation is the key.

Peace & Blessings,
Pam A.K.A. Js

ajenno said...

Thanks Pam (glad to know you!). I really value your postings, you are a regular reader and I appreciate hearing from you. You are so encouraging always and I need that sometimes even more than I realize. I think I'll go take a bubble now and then bed! Have a good night my friend!

ajenno said...

Hee hee, I mean a bubble bath, not a bubble!! Ha ha ha!!

Andy Egizi, Program Coordinator said...

I don't think you're going to see accelerated courses as a norm. UIS has made a stand against this kind of learning. I can understand the benefit of getting credits more quickly, but accelerated courses (in my opinion at least) leads to deadline chasing rather than learning. A good portion of what you learn comes in the down times when you're not studying and your mind is simply processing and trying to fit this new knowledge into your world view. Accelerated courses move on to the next requirement without giving you this time.

Having said this, you are free to incorporate transfer credits into an LIS degree. You still have to remember Boyer and you should work closely with your advisor to insure that your investment will both transfer and be allowed in your degree, but the option is there.

Beth said...

I looked into both schools and I prefer an education from UIS too. I have a friend who is getting her BSN from University of Phoenix and they are giving her life experience credit, but she is also paying $650 per hour.
I know about the struggles of balancing work, family, and school. You might think you won't get through it, but you will. good luck.

Anonymous said...

No problem, Anne! I'm not only here to learn from you all, but I'm also here to offer support and perhaps even receive some when I need it, too. :-) Sometimes all it takes is a kind word, a virtual hug, or an understanding heart to show that you care about something that another person is going through. This is what has helped me get through the rough times in school as well as in life in general. I believe that encouragement is half the battle.